Go to: Section menu | Main menu | Footer | Top of Page

Headline News


Affluence to cinemas of Spain increased in 2016

More than 100 million spectators visited the Spanish movie theatres


An amount of 100,27 million spectators visited cinemas of Spain in 2016, which supposes 6% more than in the previous year. On its behalf, the total invoicing reached 601,77 million euros, a figure which increased 5% compared to 2015. According to provisional data published by ComScore Spain, it is the first time since 2009 that the number of spectators reaches 100 million. Moreover, the consultant company concluded that the average price of a cinema ticket decreased from 6,07 euros in 2015 to 6,01 in 2016.

In that sense, the most watched film of the year was A Monster Calls, that with 4,5 million of sales sold and an earning figure of more than 26 million euros, got to consolidate the trend registered in five of the last six months, in which a Spanish film becomes the highest box-office earner. The movie by Juan Antonio Bayona leaded a ranking in which there were also included Secret Life of Pets (21,3 million euros and 3,8 million spectators), Finding Dory (17,6 million euros and 3,19 million spectators) and The Jungle Book (16,8 million euros and 2,99 million spectators). Regarding the Spanish production cinema, it invoiced more than 109 million euros, five million more than in the previous year, even though the screen rate decreased from 19% in 2015 to 18,1% in 2016. At last, according data from ComScore Spain, 57% of spectators chose the weekend to go to the cinema, meanwhile the other 43% attended theatres between Monday and Thursday. 

  • delicious
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

Go to: Section menu | Main menu | Footer | Top of Page